Authentic Turkish-American Dancer & Musician
Dedicated to the Diverse & Artistic Representation of Middle Eastern Dance
About Michelle Deniz
My lifelong passion for dance, equality, multiculturalism and women’s leadership development inspires me to be dedicated to the diverse and artistic representation of Middle Eastern dance. As a professional dancer, developing percussionist, and supportive instructor, I strive to educate our community through the art of Middle Eastern dance and music. I aim to do this through my professional pursuits as former Co-Artistic Director of Dunya Belly Dance with talented Rosy Summerbell, former Co-Producer of One Day in Istanbul with international star Ozgen, and as former Operations Director/Dancer for Arabian Dance Theatre. In 2013, I relocated from London, UK to Metro Detroit, Michigan, USA and mostly focus on producing and teaching.
My dance style at the core is a unique combination of classical and cabaret Turkish and Egyptian styles with jazz, ballet and theatrical influences. I’m also trained in a variety of Middle Eastern fokloric dances, and I’m a developing percussionist playing finger cymbals/zills, darbuka/doumbec, davul, tambourine/riqq, and frame drum. I’ve been told that my performance and teaching style is very fun, energetic and playful, while also being classy and professional.
Below are additional links and photos of my dance and music pursuits:
- Principal of Belly Dance By Deniz (including my biography and videos)
- Former Co-Founder/Artistic Director of Dunya Belly Dance including classes taught and performances
- Former Co-Producer of Hafla on the Hill (2010-2013), Ozgen’s One Day in Istanbul (2012-2013) and Kaleidoscope of Stars Festival (2009-2013)
- Former Company Performer/Operations Director of Arabian Dance Theatre (2010-2013)
- Instructor at Dancebuzz (2011-2013)
Contact me to book special event performances, private classes/tuition, and master classes. View performance videos and the photo gallery below.